Wednesday, August 20, 2014

west coast, best coast

One of the things I like best about traveling is seeing where and how my friends live. Over the past several days I have had the privilege of staying with Maria in Göteborg, Sweden's second city. It's home to Volvo and Ericsson, a center for trade and industry in a 18th century wrapper. The city itself is beautiful and I would recommend a visit to anyone to enjoy art, hiking, sailing, history, manufacturing... Just about anyone can find something to do here! But what had made the city come alive to me is the people.

Post-swim, the wind blown look. It was actually warmer than the sea at home!



Maria is a PhD candidate in applied physics at Chalmers university and her boyfriend Joacim a design engineer (CATIA jockeys unite!) At Volvo cars. While they are at work, I have been exploring and tasting and discovering. In the afternoons we have tried moose kebap, jumped in the sea, played on playgrounds, and discussed how to solve the education systems in our respective countries.


I am already a little sad to be leaving Sweden tomorrow. It feels completely comfortable to me. Hopefully the pragmatic and warm attitude of the Swedes is infectious!
I'm excited to work on my German and finally experience Tyrol starting this weekend...

____________________

I started a narrative on what I've been doing day by day, but that seemed so boring. Is this a better format?
Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!