Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Into the Alps

I'm currently camped out at Gästehaus Kolp in the Dorf (village) of St Jakob, at the edge of the ski town St Anton. My friend Christoph from Graz invited me to come stay, and it is his parents who have the house. I woke up in my own apartment with rugged mountain peaks scraping the tips of the window frames.
Despite wet weather yesterday, I couldn't wait to go out hiking. The closest trail was literally out the front door and so well signed I didn't even need a map.
Coming out of the forest and onto the Alm



Putzenalm, a cow farm

Trail marking
 The route was steep, and for a good portion of the way it followed a cow path. I heard cowbells lower down, but didn't see any animals (or people) on the way up.

1:45 hours later, at Leutkircher Hütte!



The way back into the valley runs along that green ridge

Waiting out the rain...
  
I found someone's Schnapps stash!
  
A hunter's cabin
As I passed Pützenalm and turned to take a different route home, I could hear bells ringing through the trees. As I turned a corner into a little valley, I saw a hard of milk cows spread out below me munching alpine flowers. Then there were cows above me on the hill... And finally two standing next to the road. I stopped to say hi, and this lovely lady let me scratch her neck and sniffed at my bag. She even smiled for the camera!

Happy cow! She was so sweet!
I finally came into the lower part of the valley again and walked the Jakobweg home. Overall, 3:45 hours (including stops), ~1000m (3300') elevation gain to ~2230m (7300') peak elevation, and about 16km (10 mi) traveled.

St Jakob

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I want to go some place like this!!! Love the mountains so much! Wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!