Monday, August 18, 2014

Stockholm




Stockholm, my first experience of Scandinavia. I don't know what it is exactly, but there is something wonderful about this country. There seems to be a sort of warmth and kindness in every person I've met here.  Maybe it started when I went to the airport to get into town. The bespectacled man behind the information desk confirmed that I was "youth" (25-), suggested that I save a few SEK and take the bus with a youth fare, and directed me to the bus stop.

I wandered from Interhostel down the main shopping street, through the old city gate, past the palace, and into Galma Stan, the old city. The arcitecture reminds me of a mix of the low country Hanse cities, a bit of Medetranian polish and colour, and a distinctly Swedish flare.


From the old city I took a ferry across the harbour to Djurgarden, home of a beautiful green space, amusement park, and the famous Vasa Museum.



The Vasa was a 17th century ship built as the crown of the Swedish fleet during a time of expansion. The goal was Baltic supremacy, so Gustav Adolphus was taking on Poland, Germany, Denmark, and Norway at roughly the same time. Dutch shipwrights were brought in, but the scientific revolution was just starting to pick up momentum. The result was a boat that was well-constructed but entirely under-ballasted. It sank on its maiden voyage, just 1000m from where it was launched.

2 gun decks and ~.6m thick oak planking!
Model showing the elaborate stern as it would have looked in 1628

Vasa was rediscovered in the 60's and re-floated 333 years after its sinking. Preservation has been going on at the Vasa Museum since the early 90's.

Vasa museum and quey

I wandered along the waterfront for a good part of the afternoon, and stumbled also through the WE ARE STHLM festival and a rummage fair full of vintage housewares. Good thing I don't have much space in my luggage!

Double enders seem to be the standard in the rough Baltic.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!