Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Southern Christmas

There are so many things that have made it feel less like Christmas time over the past few weeks. Being a long way from home means no holiday baking, no Christmas light scouting in PJ's, and not even snowflakes cut for the windows (Justin says he "doesn't really do those").


Charleston, though, has some serious Christmas spirit. The old market is overcome by ornaments and people hunting for last-minute gifts. South of Broad looks like it came straight out of the December edition of Southern Living. Evergreen swags, lights in the windows, and red-bowed wreaths on virtually every door.

 

The gas lights on houses have turned from summer evening fireflies to golden Christmas candles flickering through their little glass windows. Even the greens peeking around garden gates in little courtyards seem to have been dipped in the magic.


The one Christmas tradition that has followed me to Charleston - courtesy of my most amazing, creative, and wonderful mother, is the advent calendar she sent me in Charleston. I'll let you guess what was tucked in the little origami boxes... All I can say is there aren't any left! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!