Friday, February 18, 2011

Snowy Graz

The snow started to stick by the time I left "Goodbye Lenin" on Wednesday night, and this is what Ruth and I woke up to on Thursday morning:

A lovely frosted Graz! I actually got to use the snow boots that I packed!



 Yesterday was full of wonderful conversations. I caught lunch with some classmates (Yannik (Northern Belgian), Marte (Norwegian), Lara (Swedish), and Michel (Slovenian)) at the Propeller. We swapped stories and compared universities for a while and then went our separate ways. I was in need of some postcards and a fun place to write them, so I pulled up a seat at the Sogars on Jakomini Plaz. I am learning that often my best bet is to order the "Menü" (daily special) and enjoy whatever comes out. Yesterday it was an Au
strian-style espresso (with small

glass of water on an oval dish) and
a
Krapfen, an ultra-fluffy donut with a marmalade
core and liberal dusting of powdered sugar. The lady who sat down across from me and kindly entertained my poor german conversation skills explained that they are a Faschings treat. According to her, the Kaffeehäus that we were at, Sorger, has the best- and she would know, she has lived in Graz her entire life!

    Last night I went to the Stammtisch at der Herzl again (see post from two weeks ago), but this time Ruth went with me! We spent what was supposed to be just an hour or so talking with some fellow exchange students and a Polish expat, but by 10:30 we realized that we should probably go finish our homework :)

    It is so hard to believe that the Deutsch intensive course is almost finished. I spent several hours this afternoon trying to sort out schedules and classes for the next semester, which is hugely complicated by the fact that I am duel-enrolled in Karl Franzens University and the Technical University. Oh well, it will all work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!