Saturday, February 19, 2011

Landeszeughaus Graz



This Saturday's adventure was a trip to the Landeszeughaus for a tour of one of the largest arms and armour collections anywhere. Over 3,500 pieces from the late middle ages and renaissance fill three floors of one wing of the regional administration building, ready to defend the southeastern border of Styria against Turks, Hungarians, and forgetfulness. We took the German tour, which was really fun! I understood about 60%, not word-for-word but ideas-wise. The armour was mostly from a period 200+ years later than what really interests me, but it 

was impressive nonetheless! After about 1500 forged steel or iron plate replaced the chainmaille of earlier generations. The result was the fairytail image of a 'knight in shining armour.' The craftsmanship in the fluting, cording, and etching of the pieces was fantastic. On the cheaper armour for the footsoldiers, I could see the finishing strokes left by the armourer's hammer. Notable weapon pieces included a variety of wheel-, match-, and flint-lock pistols and muskets, bayonettes, sabres, flamberge swords (2 m tall!), jousting equipment ("it's called a lance, hello")... yeah. Impressive stuff! 
    Aaaand of course, I forgot to bring my camera into the museum :( Included photos here and in the gallary are from the courtyard when Ruth and I were hanging around waiting for the tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!