Sunday, February 6, 2011

Schönes Wochenende

    Again, another blur of days and my feet feel like they are going to fall off!

    Saturday morning I drug myself out of bed and went to walk a roundabout rout to where I thought that I would meet Petra and Soomie for an afternoon exploring the Schloßberg. Through an unfortunate misscommunication, they ended up at the Hauptplatz while I was at the Murinsel- a swirly shaped bridge/cafe in the middle of the river next to the Schloßberg. It was too
gorgeous
a day to waste, so I headed up the 260 steps to the Uhrturm (clocktower). The top of the hill is covered in gardens, walls, and the remains of the old castle fortifications. Parts had been started in the 13th century and subsequently built over during the later middle ages and renaissance. In the late 18th century, a garrison of less then 900 men held the fortress against 3000 French invaders.

    Today involved even more walking. I went and checked out the climbing wall on the west side of town- it's fantastic! And at only €5.5, I think that I'll have to start going once a week! We were out of TP so I made a run to the only grocery store in the city which is open on Sunday (and is subsequently rather chaotic) and then met Soomie and Petra at the Hauptplatz (made it this time!). We explored north along the river and back. There was a lovely little church which had a crucifixion scene built on a stone outcropping in the rear. It lent us a great view of the north end of the valley and south towards the city.

    I just finished making pita bread and am completely beat. I'm thinking a shower, finish homework, and then hit the rack! Bummer since the super bowl starts at midnight, but right now I'm not sure that I'd make it to halftime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!