Thursday, February 6, 2020

End-of-year hikes, et cetera

Even after the jaunt up to Cascade Falls (near Blacksburg, VA), I was still on the hunt for through the end of 2020. Most of these I found closer to home, a sort of scouting mission to map out what is fun and accessible in the immediate area. One of the surprises I found was a state park near Camas, where water drops from Lacamas lake over a series of falls into the Washougal watershed. The popular trail was moderately busy, although I think that forecasted cloud-bursts kept many people at home. I finally invested in the last piece of waterproof gear I needed (socks!) and was packing heavy, but the sun came out between light showers, and I stayed dry!


 Two hikes took me east, first to Mt Hood, then to the Gorge. J2 and I hoped for sun on a Saturday morning hike near Lolo Pass, but instead found the mountain shrouded in cloud and a dusting of fine, icy snow over everything. The autumn colours were hanging on, shadowing the snow with golden greens and reds. It was cold, beautiful, and terminated by an ice field that we didn't feel comfortable crossing without microspikes!



 The weather warmed up again, and my housemate and I found a sunny day to do the Porland equivalent of Oyster Dome: Dog Mountain. It's just a little longer and taller than Oyster Dome, and equally crowded. Even though we left early, there were more than a dozen cars in the parking lot when we arrived, and it was nearly full when we left! The views from the top were lovely, although I don't think that they top the San Juans as seen from above the Chuckanut...

 
 The last hike this year was a jaunt at Ft Ebey with the K crew. I crashed with them on North Whidbey over the holidays, and was treated to a wander on the bluff above Admiralty Inlet. The Olympics even came out for a few minutes! Greta &co came down to visit Oregon in October, and I'm looking forward to having them come again for long enough to get a hike in next time!


At Barley Pod during their October visit - hope to have them back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!