Saturday, July 27, 2019

Regensburg, St Paul's Cathedral

We discovered one of my new favorite towns in Germany on a quick stopover from Prague to the Alps. It has all my favorites: Roman gates, a towering cathedral with medieval foundations and Gothic spires, twisting streets, pedestrian bridge from the 1100's that connects a biergarten on one side of the river with the ice cream spot on the other... 

Regensburg across the River

And then there's the Cathedral. St Paul's is still the seat of the local diocese, and (like most others in Germany) seems to be under perpetual restoration. Fortunately, Jon got an eyeful of flying buttresses and groin arches above the outdoor construction fences.



The inside is gloriously Medieval, with sandstone carvings from the 13th century and brilliant stained glass. My favorite piece was a carving of a woman holding a book... I don't know why the artist thought the virgin Mary would be holding a book on her hip instead of a baby, looking like she was about to tell an ignoramus what was in it, but I like it!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!