Saturday, October 18, 2014

Catchup with Friends in Suburbia


I don't much care for Suburbia, specifically Midwestern suburbia. Novi, Michigan was not my first choice for a training location. It is basically a mass of shopping centers and chain stores off I-96, 30 minutes West of Detroit. To me, though, it has one endearing trait. It is close to several of my Calvin friends!

Tuesday I had lunch with Ashley and her boyfriend, Nav. They're both looking for journalism-type jobs at the moment. I think they thought I was a paid recruiter for the West Coast, telling them they should look for jobs in the PNW!
Wednesday I had dinner with 3 of the VarnHagen clan. Really good Japanese was eaten as we solved all the world's problems. 
Yesterday was the icing on the cake, a trip to see Erika and Jenica in London. I drove over on Friday and spent the night with Erika (and her adorable, spastic kitten Tess). We stayed up far too late eating nachos downtown and catching up. Erika was my roommate at Calvin and is starting to pursue a culinary career, currently working as a pastry chef at an adorable inn/restaurant in London. Another amazing person capturing her dream.
Before we fell asleep, Erika filled me in on Jen, who had been in a massive car accident in March. It hit many of her friends like a sucker punch, finding out that one of the the brightest stars in our constellation was in a coma. I had no idea what to expect when I drove to Jen's hometown. After six months in the hospital, Jen is making leaps and bounds. We walked downstairs, drank tea and she told me about the therapies she's been doing to re-coordinate her body and mind. Her memory is largely intact, and you can see the connections re-forming as she talked. The same girl is there, enjoying music and talking with friends and reading voraciously. 
I see these people only every few years, but it is such a blessing each time. Suddenly, I'm not dreading heading to Suburbia every once in a while. With Polyworks in Novi, though, it looks like I'll be getting to make trips a little more often in their direction. Here's to many more dinners eaten and conversations shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!