Sunday, September 14, 2014

Tolosa Hike

My voice was back Monday morning, and I felt completely recovered from the festivities of the day before. Jone and I had a hike planned, so after a light breakfast we headed for the hills.



Uzturre is a rocky peak (730m) at the north of Tolosa's valley crowned by a white cross. I had hiked this hill once before in 2011 with Gurutze and Jone, but that time we started at a restaurant at the top of the first step section. This time we hiked from Tolosa home, a 2 hour grind up the full 650m. Today we aimed for a comfortable 3 hour walk.

Refreshment at the half way point. It's all uphill from here!
Basque cows!

We were fortunate in a clear day and fresh breeze that rewarded our climb with a beautiful view of the valley from the top. I could talk about the role of the mountains in Basque religion and culture throughout history, but you can research that on your own. Hopefully the pictures adequately convey my impression of them.




Happy hikers!


1 comment:

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!