Monday, September 8, 2014

Stuttgart Preview and Quiet History

I am realizing throughout this trip just how amazing my friends are. It isn't really news (they've always been great), but every once in a while it hits me even harder. I spent a few days in Stuttgart this week, and it was one of those moments.

Myself, Anne, and Bea in Heilbronn
Anne, Bea, and I hung out Thursday evening in Heilbronn for pasta, ice cream, and swapping stories an a mash up of English and German (I think Anne is the only person who got 100% of it!)


I stayed with Anne Mareike in Stuttgart last week from Wednesday to Friday. She is doing an internship at Daimler as part of her master's thesis and shared her apartment, food, and city with me. 

Wednesday evening we went to the regional wine festival and caught up over Swabian delicacies like Maultaschen, the local rosé, and delicious crepes. The next morning Anne went to work and I wandered into town to explore. There is so much history here, the streets seem to have their own memory.

In parts of the city 100 years is as old as it sounds to us Americans

I noticed as I walked around how much of Stuttgart is new, in contrast to München's medieval city center. The truth is that both cities were bombed into oblivion 70 years ago, but Stuttgart did not rebuild in the old style. There are some beautiful constructions from the high days of the Württemberg dutchy and kingdom, like the new and old palace.



One street I wandered down looked more medieval, and I began wondering what the city must have looked like before. Is the destruction worth it because we can't agree?


Looking back, I have to say yes in this case. Those sent to the camps were not the only victims. The streets speak here. Their quiet memory is a constant reminder of the consequences of the decisions that we make.


But not all history has to be so serious! I had fun at the Stuttgart museum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!