Sunday, December 25, 2016

Snow fallen on cedars (Post #200)

I have left home twice in the past month, and both times it snowed while I was gone. This wouldn't be anything special to most people, but it snows so rarely here - it's been 2 years! - that I didn't want to miss it! So as soon as we arrived home from Seattle, I pulled on my boots and took to the woods (also I had just had my second pastry of the day and was running on a sugar buzz).

Frozen, snowy Little Cranberry
 The woods were surprisingly busy on this snowy Sunday. I traded tracks with a group of mountain bikers, passing each other back and forth on the slick rocks and crunchy mud puddles. It was still cold enough for the snow be stuck to the tree bark and evergreen needles. Usually, the snow slides off by three PM.


Between the frozen lakes and ponds there were streams of running water. On one of the smaller ponds, I came across evidence that the busy resident beavers were hard at work keeping things flowing!

Beaver tail marks on the frozen pond
According to Blogger, this is my 200th post. Merry Christmas to all, and here's to reaching 250 posts in 2017!
View on the way home over the snowy San Juan Islands


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!