Friday, January 6, 2017

Christmas, round 2

It used to be that each year we would alternate which grandparents we spent Christmas with: my dad's parents on Whidbey Island, or my mom's parents in British Columbia. After so many back-and-forths, swaps, Christmas eve road trips, and opening stockings in the back seat of the car, I can't keep track of which one we're on. In any case, a few days after Christmas we loaded into our respective cars (because we're somewhat adults now coming from our somewhat adult homes) and trekked up to the Kootenays for a second holiday with Nana and Grandpa.

The ridge above Canyon/Lister

The forecast was for snow over Snoqualmie, so M and I made the last-minute decision to accept M's parents' offer to take their all wheel drive GMC over the hill. We hit the pass at daybreak and had no trouble passing the chained up sedans and semi trucks. 10 hours later, we rolled into Nana and Grandpa's... in time for dinner! 

the Mountain Assault Vehicle

 We hadn't had all 4 granddaughters at Nana and Grandpa's in one trip for a couple years. My sisters and I were lucky enough to have our significant others with us... and my sisters' 2 fur babies. I don't know who was more excited about the fresh snow, us or the dogs!

Goober, sporting her snazzy new bandanna
One of many walks
In between games of double or triple solitaire with Nana, swapping stories with Grandpa, and trying to not eat too much, we took as many walks as we could fit. There were blue skies with wisps of cloud filling in the passes in the Cabinet and Purcell mountain ranges. In between walks, we found time to make snow couches and snow angels!


Couch sculptors


A belated Merry Christmas, and happy new year!

with love, -b

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!