Friday, December 5, 2014

Il fait froid au Québec!

It's cold in Québec!

Despite my rather lax approach to learning French since I was last in Quebec City, I am certainly enjoying my time here. It's like a grown up version of Erasmus, a gathering of people from all over the world for a common purpose with lots of eating, drinking, learning, and laughter along the way. Last night I finally got a chance to take a walkabout around this beautiful town. With temperatures around -14*c (~5*F), none of my co-workers were interested in joining me!




Walking up the hill, the light glittered off the snow. I avoided the lift and took the stairs, counting on the increase in heart rate to pump blood to my chilled extremeties. I was still far from sweating under my two layers of leggings, two pairs of socks, under armour, a sweatshirt, and my down jacket. My buff was pulled up over my nose as a neck gator. Still my thighs were feeling a little frost nip as I crossed in front of the citadel and into the old city. 

Porte St. Louis
The nearly full moon over the St Lawrence was beautiful from the boardwalk in front of Chateau Frontenac. I walked down the steps into Quartier Petit Champlain. The narrow street was completely transformed since my last visit.


Notre-Dame-des-Victoires

Place Royale
None of the postcard shops were open, so I trudged back up the hill and walked Rue de Baude, stumbling into a Christmas shop on the way. As I stepped out the door with my postcards, I found myself facing something I didn't expect: une Marché de Noel Allemand, a German Christmas market! I bought a mini-cup of Glühwein and warmed my hands over a brazier before wandering through.



My evening ended with a slice of authentic Stollen in a log cabin "chalet," writing Christmas cards and chatting with the owner. He was a little surprised when I ordered in German, and told me he was originally from Wuppertal. The last few weeks I have been a little homesick for Europe, and I think I've stumbled into a little bit of Europe in North America. I'm in a walled, French speaking city, having dinner with people from Japan, Sweden, India, Germany, Brazil, and Mexico, and eating German food. Pinch me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!