Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cooking Turkish

Petra, Mediha, and Ezgi invited me over last Friday (before I left for Croatia) for dinner and a lesson in how to make a delicious Turkish desert called Helva. Here is how Mediha made it:
Helva (from Istanbul)
  • 1,5 cups flour into a pot on medium heat, stir continuously
  • 1,5 cups sugar + 2,5 c water in a second pot
  • When the flour starts to brown a little add ~ 200g butter and approx. the same amount of sunflower oil. It should  be about as thick as cream of wheat. Keep stirring until it boils.
  • Drop a little batter into the sugar water. If it turns white quickly, you are ready for the next step.
  • Pour the sugar water into the batter. Watch out- it is a little explosive! Stir rapidly until thick. 
  • Cool, spoon onto a plate, and enjoy!

One note- the "cup" we used was just a regular cup. Mediha said that she has made it from many different recipes, and this time she didn't use one- so everything is approximate!
Our main dish was pasta- which, I learned, the Turks top with yogurt! Evidently my love of eating just about anything with yogurt would be quite at home in Istanbul :)

In other news, it is only two weeks until I leave Graz. At this time on July 1. I will be on a train somewhere in northern Italy, on my way to meet up with Erin and her dad and bro in Venice. Yikes! So much still to do... time for a list!
  1. go up Schloßberg on a clear night
  2. eat a Steirer Schnitzle
  3. go to the RitterFest near Brück on der Mur
  4. have coffee at the cute blue place near the Opera that I saw the first week here
  5. finish my "regular's" card at the climbing gym 
  6. ... Suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!