Tuesday, May 30, 2017

a Hike in Southern WA

My last class was scheduled the week before Memorial Day weekend 200 miles south of home just off I-5. Looking at the option of driving vs flying, I realized I could get there lickety-split on a turboprop from Bellingham directly to Portland. So I did!

Mt St Helens peeking above Iron Bridge
 The flight schedules gave me a "free" day in Portland before my few days of work just north of [Fort] Vancouver. I had coffee with a friend from home in downtown, a MAX ride across the Willamette river on the newest bridge, and dinner on 23rd street with my sister and brother in law.


The class went by quickly, and by Thursday afternoon I was packed up and ready to head home. I had a few hours to burn on my way to PDX. Thinking that it would be a great afternoon to hike, I logged onto the Washington Trails Association website and found a lovely walk at Moulton Falls regional park.

I looped up from the parking lot along a trail and found a beautiful valley and series of waterfalls. I was a little surprised when I came around a corner and found a "swing" bridge over a narrow slot. Unfortunately, the bridge hadn't been swung into place and there was a ~8' gap across the stream! So I turned around and headed back towards the arch bridge that would take me on my 2 mile (one-way) hike along the river.





the "swing" bridge
 I made a quick stop before heading out on the riverside hike, which turned out to save me. I walked out of the restroom to an entirely different afternoon. A dark cloud had rolled in over the hill and begun dumping rain. I pulled out my trusty Patagonia rain jacket and quick-stepped it back to the car. By the time I was back in Vancouver and stopping to send a few final work emails, the rain cloud was behind me and the sun was shining again.




I was pretty worn out by the time I hit the rental return and went to my gate. I dozed off as soon as we were airborne, but woke up just as we passed a sleepy little town on the Salish sea...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!