Saturday, March 19, 2016

the Inner Harbor at Baltimore

After my second day of teaching just outside Baltimore, I thought it was time to head into town. The most common response I got when telling friends I was headed to Baltimore was "Oh, I'm sorry." I drove through the potholed suburbs with low expectations.

the Inner Harbor and Baltimore skyline from Federal Hill
I wound  up taking advantage of free short-term parking in the Federal Hill historical district. Neat brick row houses lined the streets, and  there was a wonderful used book store just around the corner. This was not the Baltimore I expected!


It was a few blocks to the top of Federal Hill, which gave a great overview of the harbor and downtown skyline. The park at the top of the hill was full of people chatting with friends, families on the playground, and walkers enjoying the first warm sunshine of  the year. From the top of the hill, I walked down and around the harbor. My favorite part was the boats... although I  arrived too late to tour them.

Diesel Electric submarine
the light ship Chesapeake
USS Constellation
 While walking back to the car, I passed this memorial to the Marylanders who died in the 9/11 attacks on the Pentagon, World Trade Center, and Flight 93. The granite was etched with a timeline of  the morning and  the names of the heroes and victims.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!