Friday, March 25, 2016

Chesapeake Bay (North Point State Park)

 After my last day of training, I was ready to release a little stress by taking a walk in the woods. The nearest state park (at least a state park that had more than a 1-star rating on Trip Advisor) was was at the edge of Chesapeake Bay, 20 minutes away. Perfect. I was off over the Francis Scott Key bridge to North Point State Park.

Chesapeake Bay

The east coast is all about fees. Want to drive through our tunnel to get out of the city? $4, please. Need to drive across the bridge to get to the park? $4, please. Want to take a walk in the park? $3, please. Good thing I had a wad of cash. The toll booths don't take cards! At least the view of the Baltimore skyline and Patapsco river was beautiful from the top of the bridge.

Not my picture! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/anna492/10250425166
Finally at the state park, I tucked packed my skirt and tank top in my backpack and started walking. The park was mostly shut down for the winter, and there were not too many people there. Most of the people I saw were on the road or in a parking lot. I saw exactly as many people on the trails as I saw squirrels: 3. I'm convinced that free-range Marylanders are rare, even when the weather is above 70* and pleasant.

It looks like M was here!
The woods themselves had signs of bird life (and signs to help you identify the bird life) among the hardwood trees. There was black cherry, oak, maple, and all sorts that I couldn't identify. The winter gray hadn't yielded to spring green yet, but the warm sun occasionally breaking through the clouds promised that summer is coming!

At one point, the hardwood forests opened up around a series of swamps and ponds. Early in the year, the mosquitoes were not out yet. There were red winged blackbirds in the rushes, hawks on the snags, and even a beaver lodge!

Home sweet lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!