Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati

A few weeks ago I was once again assigned  an adventure in the center of the country. I packed my bags and flew to the northernmost part of Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati. As far as being sent to Ohio goes, I was pleasantly surprised!



 To be honest, I never actually entered Ohio. The Cincinnati airport is located in Erlanger, KY, on the south side of the river. The closest I got to the north side of the river was the afternoon that I crossed the Purple People Eater footbridge between Newport, KY and Cincinnati.



Between thunderstorms, I strolled "the Levee" on the south side of the Ohio river. Paddleboats going by, the stadiums and parks on the north side of the river under the Cincinnati skyline, runners and walkers on the Purple People Eater bridge... I even found a stellar little coffee shop in Newport in the form of Carabello. Just a warning if you ever find yourself in this area - either find a real coffee shop like Carabello, or just keep walking until you smell a Starbucks. The swill they serve in hotel and office coffee pots isn't strong enough to stain your shirt!


The south side of the Ohio river, the levvy visible on the left. 
Cincinnati skyline


 The second day of class, my students shared a secret with me. There is a Hofbräuhaus in Newport! So, despite my efforts to eat healthy while traveling, I couldn't resist ein halb-maß (half liter) that evening. The atmosphere was nothing on my last visit to a HB establishment, but it certainly inspired me to start thinking about another trip... It has been over a year, after all!

Nur ein halb Maß!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!