Saturday, August 1, 2015

Rental Review: Fiat 500

In travelling for work, I get the opportunity to drive many different makes and models of rental cars. Sometimes they're boring (Hyundai Elantra),  sometimes they're frustrating (the seats don't  fold  down in a VW Passat: Wolfsburg edition. Don't leave your keys in the trunk!), sometimes they're pigs (Chevy Captiva), and sometimes they're trippy (Nissan Altima with CVTransmission). It's about  time I started doing reviews ;)

Today, I give you the Fiat 500





Who can resist its cute Euro styling? Well, anyone who arrives from the airport with more than a handbag. The trunk is quickly filled with a laptop bag and spare pair of shoes. Luggage? That belongs in the back seat, which barely fits my large suitcase. Humans greater than a meter in height need not try. 


 Then you get behind the wheel. I like the tach/speedometer combo. It's stylin' and appropriately compact. Unfortunately, there's barely space for your hand where you insert the key (hold the fob by your fingertips). There is only space for a single arm rest, but somehow the radio controls are unreachable without stretching. At least your coffee is always at hand!



The real bummer comes when you hit the gas pedal. It's gutless. The transmission, while acceptable, is less than smooth. "Sport" mode does nothing more than wind the engine up... without a corresponding boost in speed.

My Road Trip test involved a run to Frankenmuth for a Bratwurst. La Bambina cruised comfortably at 80 on the Michigan freeway, turning heads the whole way. At one point I had a black-vs-white duel with Bambina's sporty cousin, a '500 Abarth.

My favorite comment came as I was heading into a gas station to pay for fuel:
guy: that you  in the Fiat?
me: yeah
guy: (eyebrows up) that fine!
guy's buddy: you fine! 


Summary:
+ Style points!
+ Super easy to park, especially in MI parking lots
+ Great for 1-person grocery runs

- Gutless
- Hard to fit 6'3", #230 co-worker in for a lunch run
- Surprisingly low fuel efficiency
- How can the radio be so far away in such a small car?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!