Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Not-Quite-Bavaria

I have a bad habit of seeking out any part of a state that claims to resemble Germany. There was the infamous Oktoberfest road trip to Helen, GA two years ago, and those first and second visits to München last year. Any town that claims to resemble Germay - or the American vision of Germany - is a potential target. So, yesterday I found myself driving north to Frankenmuth, Germany.

Photo from a Frankenmuth advertisement site


When Americans think "German," what they are most often imagining is "Bavarian". I get it; we were assigned Bavaria (+Bremen!) and parts of Austria after WWII. We grow up singing with Maria von Trapp. So I was ready for the whitewashed walls with colourful paintings, the trachten-clad servers, the Wurst-and-Saurkraut stand. Frankenmuth really does put in an effort, especially in advertising. Even with the squeezebox in the biergarten, the vibe wasn't quite right.

Close, but no cigar
you might see this view in southern Germany! 
The walk around town was truly enjoyable. I enjoyed a Hofbräuhaus draught and Bratwurst on a wooden bench and wandered the very touristy shops. The main attraction in town seems to be the Bavarian Inn (a German restaurant) and its associated "lodge." To me, the coolest feature was a peg-and-beam lattice truss covered bridge.  Enginerd moment!

Very cool, all-wood covered bridge!

 My last stop on the way out of town was at Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. It claims to be the biggest Christmas store in the world, selling mostly ornaments. It was big... but they didn't have a Stihl chainsaw ornament. Oh, well!

so. many. ornaments.
I always leave places like Frankenmuth just a little homesick for Austria. The sound of horse drawn carriages, certain buildings that could find a place in certain towns... and then I just wish that the streets were narrower, that there weren't Midwestern craftsman homes scattered about, that the word "Rotkohl" wasn't met with a blank look, that shops greeted you with a cheery "Gruß Gott" when you entered. I guess I just need to make a pilgrimage to König Ludwig's in Leavenworth sometime soon. At least I know they have Rotkohl and mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a nifty note! I'd love to hear from you!